The Weidlinger Applied Science practice of Thornton Tomasetti is looking for a bioengineering intern with a strong modeling and simulation background to be part of our ongoing life science expansion. This paid opportunity, based in our Cupertino, CA office, will involve participating in the development of accurate human simulation models and applications of these models to solve challenging problems.
* Develop simulation-ready finite element models from imaging data
* Calibration and refinement of the models to match test data and/or observed behavior
* Perform simulations with these models to solve real world challenges
* Currently enrolled in a Masters or preferably Ph.D. program in bioengineering/biomechanics
* Minimum cumulative GPA 3.5 or higher
* Segmentation experience using ScanIP, Mimics, Amira, or similar
* Experience building finite element models of human anatomy, including meshing, specification of tissue properties, and related activities
* Hands-on, nonlinear finite element simulation experience with leading commercial software solutions, preferably Abaqus.
* Able to perform independent research and development work, but also work collaboratively as needed
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Able to present ideas and design concepts with confidence at team meetings (and with clients when needed)
* Willingness to learn about, experiment with, and pioneer new methods and approaches
- Desired Qualifications:
* Experience in advanced optimization, probabilistic algorithms, and design space exploration
* Development and coding of new constitutive material model
Thornton Tomasetti's Weidlinger Applied Science practice leverages a unique combination of technologies and expertise to engineer practical solutions to problems of national and international importance. We apply expertise in solid mechanics and fluid dynamics, materials science, acoustics, risk assessments and computational simulation methods to solve complex problems. We perform research, mathem...atical modeling, software development, and design validations to help our government, corporate and academic clients gain critical insights and improve their solutions. Our 65-year record of success is driven by the sustained focus of our uniquely qualified and experienced staff of engineers and scientists.