Division Chief of Infrastructure and Right of Way
\"Preserving the Past, while Innovating our Future!\"
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Division Chief of Infrastructure and Right of Way
What we do and how we do it is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship
The Division Chief of Infrastructure and Right of Way will be a division manager in the branch of Transportation and Environmental Services that is responsible for survey, development review, development inspections and right-of-way permitting.
What You Should Bring
As a Division Chief, you should have considerable experience in development review, general civil engineering, surveying, permitting, development inspections, and supervising technical professionals, including civil engineers, surveyors, inspectors and technicians.
About the Department
- Supervises and directs the right of way, surveying, development review, permitting, and development inspection sections;
- Oversees the Development Review Process, reviewing private developments, infrastructure, grading plans, and core requirements with respect to public infrastructure and provides overall guidance in the departmental review of development plans;
- Manages regulations and controls the use of the City's Right Of Way;
- Manages the Road and Bridges and Lighting Capital Improvement Programs, including bridge inspections, project development, budgeting, project management;
- Develops and manages operating and capital budgets for the division;
- Manages a staff of technical professionals, including civil engineers, technical professionals, engineering aids, inspectors and surveyors;
- Coordinates development of preliminary engineering plans and reviews final plans, specifications and construction cost estimates for public improvements;
- Coordinates and participates in planning efforts City-wide relating to roadways including needs assessment, and alternatives development, internally with multiple departments and externally with other government/regulatory agencies and private utilities;
- Performs research and prepares recommendations for complex transportation projects;
- Working member on several construction and utility work groups;
- Performs related work as required.
The Department of Transportation & Environmental Services (T&ES) is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving.
T&ES is organized into four branches, each with a Deputy Director: Transportation, Environment, Operations and a new branch Right-of-Way & Development Services. The Right-of-Way & Development Services branch is responsible for engineering and inspection services for private development and subdivision plan check and inspection, permit issuance and inspection, and requested engineering services to other City departments. Our professional and technical engineering staff reviews development proposals to ensure that streets and utilities are designed to meet all applicable design standards, codes and regulations, and develops conditions for approval. Staff also inspects the construction of approved public improvement plans and oversees subdivision grading and all construction within the existing and future public right-of-way. The group includes a survey unit that provides support for internal services
Minimum & Additional Requirements
Bachelor's degree in Civil, Traffic, or Transportation Engineering or a related field. Five years progressively responsible engineering experience including civil engineer project management, infrastructure design and construction in the public sector including supervisory experience; licensure as a Professional Engineer in the commonwealth of Virginia.
Preferred Qualifications Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering plus five years of experience in the civil engineer field; three years of managerial experience.
Notes This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to drug testing, criminal background.
","@type":"JobPosting","responsibilities":"","validThrough":"2017-09-24T04:00:00Z","title":"Division Chief, Infrastructure & Right Of Way","datePosted":"2017-08-25T15:53:52Z"}
Division Chief, Infrastructure & Right Of Way
City of Alexandria